Jonathan M. Wainwright Memorial VA Medical Center
Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership (VITAL)
What is VITAL?
Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership is a Veteran-centered, results oriented, collaboration between the Walla Walla VA Medical Center and Columbia Basin College and Washington State University Tri-Cities. With a VA Psychologist located directly on both campuses, student Veterans can access College Success Coaching and Transition Services, Resource Referral, and a wide range of Behavioral Health Services that promote health and achieving career goals.
We are here to help Veterans succeed in college!
As a Veteran, did you know?
You have access to a VA clinical psychologist on your campus.
There are important benefits and resources available to you.
You have someone who can help with VA Services.
You have an ally at school that knows your unique needs as a student Veteran.
College Success Coaching and Transition
- Study skills and homework accountability strategies. Accessing campus and community based resources.
- Ally, advocate, and support with university processes (i.e., Financial Aid, Disability Resources).
- Support with University processes regarding academic actions and/or conduct issues.
- Establishing new goals and career choices.
- Creating self structure and maintaining balance.
- Assist with enrollment and care at the Walla Walla VA Medical Center or associated VA Outpatient Clinics.
- Obtain help and resources from within the VA and its affiliates including: Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) and Vocational Rehabilitation.
- Support with development of Student Veteran peer groups such as student Vet Centers and Vet Clubs.
- Healthy exercise, diet, and weight management.
- Interventions for insomnia, dreams, and nightmares.
- Relaxation training (i.e., meditation, progressive muscle relaxation, and diaphragmatic breathing).
- Evidence based treatment for PTSD, depression, anxiety, and substance abuse.
- Improving emotional connectivity with family and friends and developing new supportive networks.
- Education for military & Veteran culture.
- Consultation for specific issues that may impact Veteran performance and retention in the classroom.
- Collaboration with college leadership, faculty, departments, and Veteran associated programs to promote a Veteran supportive campus.
- Consultation for Veteran specific issues that impact performance and retention.
- Work with college/university counseling centers in serving the unique mental health needs of Veterans.
- Assist with communications between the Walla Walla VA Medical Center and college/university staff about concerns, resources, and student needs.
What to Expect
Prompt attention to contact made to the VITAL program.
- VITAL will adhere to all privacy standards with respect and sensitivity.
- Maintain a Veteran-centered perspective keeping the Veteran's well-being and best interest in mind.
- Use of evidence based treatments.
Kellie Reynolds, Ph.D., LP
Walla Walla VAMC
Bldg. 143, 2nd floor
- 509-525-5200 Ext. 26761
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8 am - 4:30 pm